4 Simple Steps to Make Your Roof Last Longer & Save Money
With decades in the roofing business, we’ve seen it all. Buckets, coffee cans, diversions, and anything else you can think of to temporarily fix a leaky roof or put-off repairs.
But what if you could take the proactive route and do things TODAY to get more life out of your roof? Good news my friend, you can.
It starts with one simple word: Maintenance.
Just like a car, you can get more mileage out of your roof if you take better care of it over it’s lifetime. It sounds so simple yet most people never think of it because…well…why would we? The roof is the one thing that we never really see (but it plays a MAJOR role in keeping us safe and secure.) Pretty crazy when you think about it, huh?
So, how exactly can you extend the life of your roof?
Conduct regular inspections and you’ll keep your family safe and dry… longer. No hidden mold in the attic, puddles in your living room carpet or waking up to a chilling draft.
In fact, here are 4 things you can do to extend the life of your roof (and make it last longer) starting today!
Inspect your Gutters…
This is easy to overlook but very important to do, especially during a rainy season. Gutters can get clogged up with leaves and debris. When wet, this can weigh down your gutters making them completely pull apart from the house itself. Yep, this really happens and getting the damage fixed will result in unforeseen expenses added to the family budget so plan ahead and always keep an eye on your gutters!
- Action Tip: Check your gutters twice a month and always unclog them after a heavy rain. Remove leaves and debris which can cause water to overflow and run down the exterior of your home. Besides making a mess, this can actually affect your foundation causing even bigger problems that can easily be avoided with regular gutter-checks.
Pro Tip: You can enjoy an extra line of defense by installing rain-guards on your gutters. Contact us to get the job done right! OR Click here to learn more about our seamless gutters & rain guards.
Inspect your attic…
The first thing to look for? Mold. If you’re finding mold growing all over the attic, that’s a good sign your roof isn’t doing it’s job. You can also look for wet or damp spots, which are ideal places for mold to thrive. If you find mold in your attic, contact a professional immediately so it can get taken care of. You don’t want to take on mold yourself.
- Action Tip: Clear vents because good attic ventilation is key in extending the life of your roof. That means remove dust, dirt and debris and you’re on your way to proper attic ventilation. Another simple step to save money and extend the life of your roof.
Trim your trees…
“What do trees have to do with my roof?”, you ask? Everything. Because regularly trimming your trees reduces the amount of leaves that fall into and clog your gutters.
- Action Tip: Trim those branches too! You don’t want them falling and crashing onto your roof. This one’s a two-fer. Protect your gutters to protect your roof!
Even more (general) inspections…
Walk about and look up and around your house. Try to find shingles, even just granules from your shingles or actual missing ones. Finding out about these problems EARLY can help you save thousands of dollars and unnecessary headaches.
Inspect the entirety of your roof too and make sure again that there are no missing shingles. Clear away any debris or large branches that may cause damage to your roof. Check for moss that could trap water and if it’s winter time, try to check for snow so you can clear it to prevent ice dams. These ice dams can tear off shingles and gutters and cause leaks!
- Quick Tip: Aside from your proactive inspections, get your roof professionally inspected at least once a year Think of it like an oil change. It’s easy to put off and before you know it, your engine is ticking and you’ve got bigger problems that wouldn’t have happened if only you stopped 3,000 miles ago…and practiced better maintenance.
In a perfect world, we’d actually remember to do all these things we “should” do, right? We’re not perfect people, even we forget to inspect our own properties but the truth is….
If you just do ONE of these things ONCE a month, you’re far ahead of most people in taking initiative to extend the life of your roof. Perhaps you could set a reminder on your smartphone or write it on a calendar?
Then, once or twice a month, take 15-20 minutes to run through this list and you’ll be saving yourself thousands upon thousands of dollars in the long-run.
Plus, you’ll have the peace of mind that comes with taking control back into your own hands. Because, let’s face it… no one likes unpleasant surprises.
If you think you might have a problem and you see a new roof or even a repair in your future, go ahead and grab this Roof Buyer’s Rescue Guide for FREE.
We made it to help you feel equipped & confident that you’ll get the roof you need at a price that’s fair…and we’ve even been told it removes the intimidation around fixing your roof. That’s a big win for us, too, because an empowered customer is a happy customer.
Inside the Roof Buyer’s Rescue Guide, You’ll learn how to:
- Run a simple test to diagnose your roofing problems- Replacement vs. Repairs,
- Choose the shingle type & colors that you’ll LOVE,
- And how to find a roofer that’s right for you (and questions to ask to make sure you’re comfortable with your choice.)